Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Understanding vs Discernment

Ok, I'm just going to be honest here but I have trouble reading some of the books of the prophets.  Page after page of God's verbal warnings and judgments.  But.... every once in a while interposed among the chapters there are wonderful passages such as the prophecy given in Isaiah 27.  My Bible titles it as "A Spiritual Awakening".

This is a passage about God restoring his vineyard.  The vineyard represents his church and how he cares for it.  He watches over it day and night.  He waters it continually.  He protects it from harm.  He isn't angry.  It would be easier if He had something to fight against for them but what is needed is for them to make peace with Him.  It isn't a foreign enemy He has to contend against but He needs his people to seek refuge in Him and make peace.

In Isaiah 29 :24 it reads "Those who are wayward in spirit will gain understanding; those who complain will accept instruction."  Wow, what a mouth full in that verse.  But in Isaiah 29:11,   it reads "For this is a people without understanding; so their Maker has no compassion on them, and their Creator shows them no favor."   Some translations say discernment instead of understanding.

I wish more of us had both spiritual understanding and discernment.  I think those attributes are paramount if we are to be mature and Christlike.  Understanding to me is knowledge and how to apply the knowledge.  Discernment to me is the next step forward in understanding.  How many times have I walked into a situation or talked with someone and God, through the Holy Spirit has provided me with insight beyond the natural but supernatural.   We always taught our children as they grew to know the Word so that they could be a workman, not ashamed rightly dividing the Word of Truth.  We also taught them where ever they went to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to them so that God could either protect them or bless them depending on the situation.   I can remember that as teenagers they may be leaving to go hang out with friends and we always advised them that as soon as they got there to turn on their spiritual receivers and to allow the Holy Spirit give them discernment.

We are more than halfway through reading the Bible.   We are reading Isaiah right now.  Some of my favorite passages are found in Isaiah.

Well, until next time,
Bon Apetit
Jackie

1 comment:

  1. Isa 43:2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
    This is, probably, my favorite scripture in Isaiah, if not the whole Bible. God gave this to me one morning when I was reading, of all thing, the newspaper. I was going through one of the most difficult times of my life. It may have saved my life, I don't know. But it ministered to me. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete